I'm getting mixed results from the recipes in the issue of Food & Wine I told you about. Which is odd because I'm magical in the kitchen.
Also odd, Chris Matthews is a guest on Countdown with Keith Olberman, but hasn't hosted his own show all week.
Sorry. I got distracted.
Yesterday I made Ham and Grits with Red Eye Gravy. It was crazy delicious. I took a picture, but it didn't properly convey the fabulousness. I'm not going to show you.
Tonight I tried the Chicken and Andouille Sausage Etouffee. It was bland. I'm hyper sensitive to garlic so I left that out, but it shouldn't have mattered. If all the flavor was riding on the garlic then it would have lacked dimension even if I had put the garlic in. Building an Etouffee around a bunch of chicken might have been a dumb idea anyway.
And that's enough with all the meat for a while. It's not really my thing.
Oh, I also whipped up the Revelatory Caramel Cake. I thought we should have cake today to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment. The frosting didn't set up correctly, but it was promising enough that I'd definitely try it again. I liked the light, fluffy vanilla cake layers paired with what should have been a dense sweet caramel frosting. I'll have to wait for some reviews to be posted to the F & W site to see where I went wrong.
Except for that, I have nothing to report. I pretty much spent the day cooking and cleaning. Very retro. I even wore a ruffly apron. I also did some reading for the class I'm taking. I don't actually have an assignment yet, but getting started on that was necessary to keep the whole apron thing ironic.
No comments:
Post a Comment