Friday, May 7, 2010

Fashion Friday: The Don't Freak Out Everything's Fine Edition

This is just a quick post to say don't freak out. I'm completely fine.

But it's super cute that any of you all would worry about me. I've actually done lots of writing this week but, no matter the topic, the tone kept turning too personal and oddly dark. And we don't do dark here. Personal I'll give you, but only for a laugh.

Is everyone ready for Friday Night Lights? I'm way more excited than I should be. It's going to be a big night. Huge.

To keep myself occupied, I went down to the Atheneum this morning. They've got a new exhibit called High Water Marks: Art & Renewal After Katrina. I feel like all I ever do is complain, so I'm reluctant to go into too much detail. It was OK. I mean, the Atheneum has a few issues anyway. It tends to be a little warm and musty. The lighting is kind of...umm... challenging. Some galleries feel like they could use a fresh coat of paint. But, putting that aside, this exhibition was still not my favorite. The pieces they selected felt cobbled together. Individually, they lacked substance.

There was one work that invited viewer participation. I walked by it a few times before I got up the courage to plop myself down on the chair. Well, you know, I was a little nervous. There are cameras everywhere so I was very conscious of being watched and I had no idea what would happen. But I did it. And nothing happened. I just sat there in a black chair looking at a black upside down umbrella hanging in front of black fabric. Thrilling.

As an antidote, I headed over to the gallery of history paintings asap. I was much happier there. I'm just not a contemporary girl. When the idea begins to supersede the aesthetic, I get very uncomfortable. I pretty much go as far as the Post-Impressionists. The Post-Impressionists are actually very exciting to me. It's that spot in art where everything gets broken open. So amazing. But I'm not down with the fall out.

Now I'm just taking care of a few things around the house. I've got a date with Coach Taylor tonight and there will not be a single dirty dish or undusted anything to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment