I get my hair cut next Wednesday. This is excellent timing because that means between now and then I can obsess over what to do about my bangs rather than worry about the kids' birthday party we're attempting to throw which, fyi, is sending me into fits.
Seriously, I can't even discuss it. Just know that I'm up in the middle of the night checking my email for RSVPs. Don't feel bad. It's sweet relief because when I close my eyes to sleep, I dream about UPS delivering things I'd never order like half eaten tomatoes and boxes of cutlery. When I go out to the front steps to collect the package, I lock myself out of the house and the sky erupts into a wild thunderstorm.
But back to my hair. You should know I have very limited control over what will happen to me next Wednesday. A kind of just does what she wants. A's great because she's young and stylish and painfully honest. For example, no matter how many times I bring her pictures of Diane Lane or Rene Russo, she tells me, no, I'll never look like that so just forget it. It sounds harsh, but you know how my brain works. I need others to constantly confront me with reality because I tend not to seek it out myself.
A and I have been working together for a long time. I went to her for the first time the day I got married. I already knew her work so I went in for a little trim and a half up half down. Are you going anywhere tonight, she asked. I'm getting married, I told her. It threw her for a loop. She thought about it for a while then eventually she asked, so, is this your second marriage because you seem really relaxed? Isn't that cute? But it wasn't my second marriage. I just wasn't making a whole big flipping deal out of it. I never had the expectation that my wedding day would be the best day of my life. There was no wedding shower, no rehearsal dinner, no wedding party, no church, no wedding dress, no being walked down the aisle. There was no manicure, pedicure, facial, or limo. We did have a photographer, but I wouldn't look at him. We also had an open bar because we genuinely cared about our guests even though I can't quite remember who all we invited at this point. From what I can remember, it was fun. It's interesting, though, that on a day that was all about saying yes, I defined it by all of the things I was saying no to. And that included an elaborate hairstyle with test runs. It just wasn't me.
I'm less interested in the Diane/Rene look these days. Rene was a minor obsession after I saw The Thomas Crown Affair. But that was 1999. And I lost interest in Diane Lane after certain aspects of her relationship with Josh Brolin became public. These days I'm feeling more Amanda Peet/ Lauren Graham. The unfortunate thing is, their actual hair styles aren't really that different from mine so that's not where the solution lies. The reason they look so much better is that they're both about six inches taller, twenty pounds thinner (OK, twenty five. Shut up.), and have upper arms that are as thin as pencils. Tall and thin makes hair look great.
I'm doing my best. I went for a run before yoga last night. A walk. Whatever.
Now I've got to swing by Aveda and by "swing by" I mean travel a mighty distance, because today Melanie talked about running styling serum through her freshly washed hair and twisting it into a bun before she goes to sleep. Apparently when you wake up in the morning your hair will look either great or like Chaka Khan. In other words, it's guaranteed to look much better than mine. I'll try it.
Friday Night Lights tonight. I hope every one will be watching. Apparently tensions will be running high between Vince and Luke. I'm not sure why. That Luke is the sweetest thing. You see him coming between Matt and Julie, don't you?
It was a good episode last week. Landry has a little crush on that girl he ran over with his car. Coach apologized to his team and won them back. Matt got an internship with that crazy artist who walks around in his underware. Tim found a place to live. And Tammy stood up to Joe McCoy. My favorite parts are usually Tammy and Coach spending quiet time together. I love what she told Coach at the very end of the episode after having been booed (Is that right? Booed? That's three vowels in a row.) at the pep rally:
"But I did get one little bit of satisfaction, just being able to stand up to those good old boys for one moment... Joe McCoy and his crew. So I've got that going for me... and wine."
Tammy's so great and she's got some good hair. But why wouldn't she? She's from Texas, y'all.
No comments:
Post a Comment