I have been flat out this week, y'all. Flat out.
Mr. Blyleaf had to go out of town for work. I was looking forward to time quiet alone. But Lauren got sick and that threw a wrench in things. It was just a cold, runny nose with coughing. She was up Monday night, came in my bed. She couldn't go to school and I felt like I couldn't skip work. I mean, I could have. It would have been fine. But it's such a cushy set up, I couldn't bring myself to ask for anything extra.
So I got up at 5:15 to take care of myself and the dogs (only two of the three eat actual dog food. I have to cook for the third one. I know.) and we were on the road at 6:30. I drove an hour east to bring her to my mother's house, then two hours west to work. Isn't that crazy? I did that. And I had to do it all again after work. Don't feel bad-- I mean, definitely feel bad-- but know that I know I didn't have to put myself through that.
Mr. Blyleaf got home shortly after we did which was great because I had to grocery shop, woo hoo. And I can't explain why we didn't have any food in the house because I saw it running out, I knew... Anyway, normally Tuesday is a school night, but I had made arrangements to not be there because we didn't know when MB would be getting in. Thank goodness I didn't have to squeeze that in, too.
When I emailed my assignment to my teacher she responded, I'll miss you! That's an exclamation point on the end of that sentence. I'm telling you about it because a) that was super cute and b) it really illustrates what a sad state of affairs that class is.
This week I had to hand in some fiction. I wrote a lot of dialogue. I can go forever having people just talk, but eventually they've got to zip it and do something and that transition is always a challenge for me. I hope she likes it.
We also had a nonfiction assignment. We've been reading Raymond Carver. This week we only had to read two stories, "Feathers" and "Cathedral," and write about what makes one or the other of them so totally Carver-ish. That's it. Two super short stories and a teeny essay. OK, and a fiction piece for those of us whose names begin with A-M. God, I hope they did it. This poor lady.
Next week we have a writer visiting. I've never heard of him, but you can bet I'll spend all week researching him so I can ask good questions when we get to the Q&A part. I can't help it. I feel a responsibility. When did I get to be so codependent? This can't be healthy.
Is anyone watching the Ken Burns Tenth Inning thing? I've got it on in the background. It's OK. I kind of prefer his ye olde history stuff.
Oh, hey. That reminds me. Parenthood hasn't been working for me. Mr. Cyr is gone and everyone else is annoying. Do you know what I watched instead? The Good Wife. It was really good. I'm going to watch it next week, too. If I can remember. Chris Matthews loves The Good Wife so I was kind of aware of it, but never really watched it. Last night Will, who I think was on Judging Amy, left a drunken declaration of love on the ER lady's voicemail, but Sex in the City/Law and Order guy's campaign manager played it and erased it before ER lady could hear it. This is perfect because I'm all about the unrequited love. Fantastic. I'm hooked.
Oh, right, DWTS. Thank goodness Michael Bolton is gone and I wish Maks would take his shirt off. I don't know what's up with all the clothes he's wearing this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment