I can’t believe this Shelton, CT prom story has gone national. What the hell?
For the benefit of those of you who live in a Philadelphia suburb and may have missed it, I’ll briefly summarize based purely on what I can remember and without checking any facts.
This boy named James, with the help of a couple friends, crept onto school property in the middle of the night. He climbed a ladder and with masking tape, or cardboard letters, or something else totally non-destructive, wrote a message on the brick school building inviting a girl he likes to the prom.
It went something like Stephanie, will you please go to the prom with me? HMU. James.
(Apparently “HMU” means hit me up. Apparently ”hit me up” means I eagerly await your response.)
Awww. So cute.
This is a good kid with good grades. He’s the captain of his golf team and he’s got a bunch of other dorky good-kid credentials besides. He likes this girl and he was moved to do a sweet, romantic thing.
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, James was suspended for a day. And students suspended after April 1, can’t go to the prom.
I know, right?
It’s a stupid rule and, by insisting it be enforced, the principal is taking the cowardly position of hiding behind a policy rather than using her brain and applying common sense to the situation.
But what are you going to do?
The nation is outraged. Or, at least, 96.8% of all patriotic Americans are outraged and 3% of people are assholes. (.2% are undecided)
I’m outraged, too. But here’s the awesome part. (FYI- there’s a really awesome part.) Our friend James is in for a treat. One way or another, he’s totally going to lose his virginity (See Captain of the golf team) over this and he doesn’t even have to wear a rented tuxedo and dance awkwardly in front of his friends to do it.
Congratulations, James, you’ve been spared one of the worst, most bullshit rights of passage we have available to teens.
No comments:
Post a Comment