Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend Recap: Beaseball, you're out

I hope you all had a very nice weekend. Mine was action packed. Action packed.

Friday was amazing. I experienced all kinds of freedom. Mr. Blyleaf worked from home to accommodate the school system's completely unnecessary 90 minute delay. It had snowed overnight, but just a little bit. A teeny weeny bit. Still, MB being home to both drop off and pick up the short-stack from school opened up a whole new world for me. Instead of going straight home after work, I went to the Whole Foods. Then I stopped by the Starbucks for an Earl Grey Tea Latte and sipped it leisurely as I wandered around the Ann Taylor. It was positively wild!

I'll need just a few things to update my work wardrobe for spring and I think Ms. Taylor may be just the gal to get me there. I approve whole heartedly of how she cuts (most of) her skirts-- they show your actual shape so you don't look like a big rectangle, but not so much that you risk prancing around like a wanton hussie.

Then I remembered it was opening day for the Sox, so I jumped in the car and raced home. Only watching the game didn't work out at all. Nor did it Saturday. Or Sunday. I just don't have that uninterrupted block of time to devote to it. And you need to devote yourself to it if you're really going to experience the drama unfold, which you must to get the maximum enjoyment from the game. So I'm letting baseball know right now that they're out until further notice. It's one thing to allow yourself to get absorbed by a two week tennis tournament once a month or whatever, but three hours per baseball game (four if they're playing the Yankees or Rangers or if it's the playoffs), 162 games a year is too much. It's decided.

Saturday I picked up an entirely new mailbox ensemble. Ours has been dangling after countless beatings from plow after plow this winter. Those plows are positively reckless, I tell you! Everyone who saw me pushing the mailbox equipment through the home center on the giant blue pushy thing wanted to stop and talk about the plows. I guess that's the only reason anyone ever gets a new mailbox. It took me a long time to get home because I was stuck in the parking lot for some time trying to figure out how to fold my new back seat down. It's not quite as intuitive a maneuver as I had hoped. I'm not ashamed to tell you I had to consult the owner's manual. I had to.

I dropped off the mailbox supplies at home and set out to finish the rest of my errands. It was nice to be out in the sun for a change. I was slightly disappointed by Das Rheingold, which was this week's live from the Met performance, and which I listened to while I was out and about. I found it super boring-- especially coming off of The Queen of Spades the week before, but what the hell do I know.

Let me give you a quick heads up here. This all isn't leading anywhere. There's no punch line. This is really just all the stuff I did this weekend. Sorry.

Anyway, when I got home I was beside myself with excitement to see the brand new mailbox up on its brand new post. It looks so solid and unwavering. MB said he used a level and everything. I love a level!

What then? I was home for a while before I had to run back out for pizza and wine. The lady at the wine store liked that I was wearing sandals. She thought it was a bold move and understood that I just gave up waiting on the weather. It wasn't really sandals I had on- FYI- it was my Birkenstocks. I swore them off at some point last year, but it didn't work-- I just can't shake them. They feel so right. Anyhow, I've been wanderng in Birkenstocks all weekend. Coat, scarf, pink toes.

I think I fell asleep during halftime of the Uconn game.

And that brings us to Sunday. I started the day grocery shopping and, I don't want to brag about my VIP treatment, but my favorite manager jumped on a register so I wouldn't have to wait in a gigantic, slow line. Some old lady who wandered up behind me attempted to block me with her cart to keep me from getting to him, as she was pretending to be under the mistaken impression he was calling her over. But he wasn't. And you don't want to fuck with me in the stop & shop; I'll cut a bitch. Then I spent some quiet time alone at the bookstore, which I obviously needed.

Later I watched the Sony Ericsson men's final-- so great. I would have watched the women's final this weekend, too, but apparently that was a top-secret event-- couldn't find it to save my life.

Eventually I made dinner. I've been cooking a lot from this cookbook...



which is tres inspirational!! Tonight I made Cheddar Cheese and Chive bread with Carrot Salad and, of course, baby arugula-- because I'm addicted. Here's a picture...



It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment