Thursday, June 3, 2010

Getting Ready for the Big Party

The big class birthday party is this weekend. Things are coming together. I'll be so relieved when it's over. I regret having put it off for as long as I did. But I was afraid people would come. Then I sent out the invitations and I was afraid no one would come.

The RSVP situation has been pretty sketchy. The first couple of responses were no's, which caused me no small amount of anxiety. Then the yes's started coming, which was a relief. But there have been several people who haven't responded at all. A few late responders came right out and told me they forgot all about it. I'm not too sure about that. If I forgot all about your party, I think I'd do you the courtesy of pretending I was out of town or hospitalized or something. But maybe that's just me. I can be too sensitive.

(Lee & Crystal were just singing together on the Today Show. So great. I love the young people. They've got their whole lives ahead of them. Bright futures full of options.)

If the weather holds up, I think we'll be good. Lauren wants everyone to play croquet in the field. I'm not sure how that will go over, but we'll give it a try. This is going to be a very old fashioned party. Cake, presents, play, go home. In addition to the cake, I'll also be serving baby egg rolls, baby quiche, fancy cookies, cream cheese covered in hot pepper jelly with crackers, and animal crackers. That's good, right? For drinks we'll serve a lovely white wine sangria, regular wine, water, coffee and juice boxes.

I've still got to put together the gift bags and pick up the flowers, balloons, and cake. I've been in quite a state so this is actually a good distraction from my huge personal crisis that I can't discuss. Especially since Kathy's gone (day 6!!) and there's no TV. What happened to all the television I used to watch? I'm down to Friday Night Lights and The Real Housewives of NY. That's pitiful. Tonight's Housewives better be good. I hope LuAnn brings that nutball Courte to Ramona's wedding/vow renewal thing.

Courte is so awesome. Did you see the way he was trying to make his big move on LuAnn during their weird date? Eeew! He was sweaty and popeyed and doing peculiar things with his tongue. So gross. Then he was all kissing at the air just hoping to land one, I guess. It must be hard being a boy and having to initiate everything, but, if you're really that clueless, I suggest, rather than force the issue, you sit tight and wait for the eye lock. (Not that I feel bad for boys because obviously with their responsibility comes tremendous privilege. I'm just saying.) What a crazy mess of a date. I loved it. That was pure TV viewing gold. I hope they go out again.

FNL has been a little frustrating. I keep seeing a preview with Tim and Lyla together...

"What do you want?"

"You."

"What else do you want?"

"You."

I know! Right in my wheelhouse. I live for that stuff. But I have no idea when Lyla's going to return to Dillon so she and Tim can have that romantic exchange. Same for Tyra. Landry hasn't mentioned Tyra once.

Well, it's almost time for me to go pick up that cake and I've got major prep work to do before I'm ready to face the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment