I'm not sure what anyone needs to know beyond that, but if you're interested, we could quickly review the rest of my weekend.
Friday was fantastic. I spent a good part of my day at the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington. H-S is the greatest because you get a historic home and amazing art. Together. In one place. Plus they also host The Sunken Garden Poetry and Music Festival which- FYI- should be renamed The Sunken Garden Poetry Series because a) it takes place over a series of several weeks and b) I think the music is just there to placate people who are scared of poetry, but if you're scared of poetry maybe you should skip the festival and go to the mall. But I can't be in charge of everything so let's move on.
The deal with H-S is Thodate Pope went to Miss Porter's, loved the area and thought her parents should leave Cleveland to retire in Farmington. So they did. Theodate designed and, in 1901, her parents moved into, H-S. And, as if a historic home from the turn of the century (I love the turn of the century!) wasn't enough, the Popes were big art collectors. Hence the Degas, Monets, Whistlers, etc. I know! Of course, just to irritate me, the Popes were pals with Henry James so I had to hear about him a little bit, but, other than that, H-S is perfection.
Friday Night Lights was kind of boring. I got my What do you want? You. What else do you want? You action, but other than that, I couldn't get too excited about anything. I'm going to have to insist that something actually happen next week. The description on my guide thingy does hold promise. Among other things, it says "Tami unwinds at a party with colleagues." Here's the thing you all, Tami (Ick. Do they really spell her name like that?) loves her wine. This is going to be trouble, very entertaining trouble.
Saturday we had a Birthday Party for one of Lauren's best friends from school. It was a pool party. Right. So I want to grumble and complain about it because that's what I do, but I can't because it was kind of a lot of fun. It was. I even ate pizza and cake. Right there in front of people. I'm finding I really like the parents of Lauren's classmates. You'd think I'd be happy about that, but you'd be wrong because where's my material going to come from?
I didn't do much Sunday, but I did get sucked into a little Next Food Network Star. Did anyone see it? I was horrified by the gal with the eye condition. If you've got a situation with your eye, get out of the kitchen. Oh, lord, but she just kept rubbing it and touching food and rubbing it and touching food. It was horrific!
I did, on a whim, read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. Melanie either recommended it or just mentioned she was reading it. I can't remember. It looks very chick-lit, but the gal who wrote it, Rhoda something, is an academic and you know how I feel about them, so I was willing to give it a try. It was OK. I actually thought I could learn an important life lesson because even though she's a tall, blond, professor with all of the requisite degrees, her life isn't perfect. But that really had no impact on me because, what I realized is, one of the things that is so compelling to me about academic life is not that it makes you perfect, but that it's the perfect landing place for odd ball smart people who are intensely interested in obscure things and could really never fit in anywhere else. Being halfway crazy myself, you can see how those people are very attractive to me. Not to mention the fact that corduroy jackets with suede elbow patches make me hot. Just a little bonus FYI for you right there.
Why should we admit you to this program?
Well, I'm not terribly bright, but I am halfway crazy. And elbow patches make me hot. I think I'm just the kind of girl you want to have around.
In other important news, my neighbors plopped a decorative wooden wishing well in their front yard. They are sweet people, but holy mackerel, do they ever have peculiar aesthetic values.
That's my weekend in a nutshell.
No comments:
Post a Comment