Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Recap: FNL & The Big Party

This weekend was all about two things: FNL and The Big Party.

Friday Night Lights has finally hit its stride. There were so many highlights, it's hard to know where to begin.

It was so fresh of those boys to ignore the play Coach called and run the Wildcat, but I love what Vince said when Coach got in his face.

What were you doing out there? Who called that play?

I don't know, Coach. I blacked out.

Hilarious. And important because it demonstrated a new found team unity.

But Vince is in a horrible situation and that is not hilarious. No electricity, no water, sour milk, and a mother passed out on a bench. Not good. Standing in front of those Pop Warner kids, he had nothing so he gave him the only advice that came to mind. He shared the advice his friend, who is teaching him to steal cars, gave him. Don't panic, stay cool, and you can get paid. Breaks your heart.

Matt slamming the door in the face of JD and Joe McCoy who were offering condolences on behalf of The Boosters was awesome.

Tammy going with Matt to shop for a casket was such an important detail. It says so much about their relationship and about how she feels about those kids in general. It also demonstrates what a scam funerals can be. The Federal Trade Commission actually has a whole guide on line regarding your rights as a consumer when planning a funeral. It's quite illuminating. That's just an FYI.

Coach looked super hot on the floor in a white t-shirt playing with Gracie.

Matt, Landry, Tim, and Billy playing football and drinking the night before the funeral was sad, but also really funny in that way only FNL can do.

Matt Mayday Saracen.

Never has he been called Mayday.

Well, we need to come up with a nickname.

I like Cobra.

Dude, why would you kill Cobra's beer?


Tim and Becky have a tricky situation on their hands. I'm impressed that he's showing restraint. I just don't see how they can get involved. He's only a year out of high school, but he's worlds away from her in terms of experience. Plus once you've slept with a girl's mother...

And Lyla came back. So I guess next week I'll finally get the big romantic scene I've been waiting for. Can't wait.

That just leaves the big party. I think it went really well. Lauren had a great time. People seemed happy. They killed the sangria and made a nice dent in the wine. I think it was good. The weather was better than expected. That morning Curtis Grevenitz had warned of downpours, dangerous winds, hail, and the outside chance of a tornado. With that in mind, the humidity and a brief shower we experienced was nothing to complain about.

I intentionally left a few things undone. As the guests arrived, I grabbed them and put them to work with me in the kitchen. It was fun to be together focused on a directed activity- so much better than standing around looking at each other, trying to make small talk. There was lots of laughing over corkscrew wielding skills, eggroll stacking techniques, and why we're nothing like Martha Stewart. By the time that was done, the ice was broken and we could just have a good time. It was fun.

There was just one small issue. Every year we order Lauren's cake from Uconn. They make delicious ice cream cakes out of milk, eggs, and sugar. No xanthan gum etc. I ordered her cake well in advance and picked it up last Thursday so I wouldn't be rushed. Unfortunately, Friday night while we slept, our freezer door was ajar and we woke up to a big, pretty, melty, mess. The very center of the cake was still recognizable so I scooped out a big soft piece and let Lauren eat it for breakfast. She couldn't have been happier. I love you! You're the best person in the whole universe! Why thank you. I'll remind you of that a few years from now when you're screaming at me because you can't borrow the car.

We got another cake- cakes, actually. Long story. The flowers were giving me all kinds of trouble, but came together in the end. We had sunflowers and daisies everywhere. Of course, we had the requisite pinata and, because I couldn't find a Pin the Tail on the Donkey, we played Pin the French Braid on Lauren with a giant picture of Lauren's head and construction paper braids. The gift bags got a thumbs up. I went with My Little Ponies, Start Wars action figures, big Hershey bars, and Silly Bands (or Straps. I can't remember. But they're a big trend right now.) The kids were noisy and fabulous and had a really good time. We did get to spend some time outside which was nice. The party was from 2 to 4, but our last guest didn't leave until quarter of 6 and we've been invited on several play dates. That's good, right? I think that's really good. I'm happy and relieved.

Of course now I'm alone in a house with lots of leftover cake- cakes. This is a very dangerous situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment