Thursday, June 24, 2010

Where I Wave the White Flag

How much longer until school starts?

It's mostly the constant noise that does it to me. From the minute her adorable little six year old feet hit the floor, she's screaming Mummy! And she does it all day long from everywhere in the house, inside, outside, doesn't matter. Mummy! Not to mention the constant chatter. She never really needs anything, just likes to narrate her own play. I get continuous updates on her and her enormous platoon of imaginary friends. It's like being on Twitter, if Twitter were blasted through your house from six o'clock in the morning until eight o'clock at night.

Lord, give me strength.

Also, my car is down the road. Because it stopped working on our way to sign up for tennis lessons. I'm not feeling too optimistic about the prognosis. Melanie just had some big repairs made to her car and then ended up getting a new one. As soon as I found out I told my husband to get ready, we'd be next. Because everything that happens to Melanie happens to me on a delay. Last week it was big repairs for us, too. This week, well... it's kind of creepy to know your future.

Speaking of not having any money for a new car, Mr. Blyleaf seriously wants me to get a job. I mean, he's not just floating the idea, which he has done continually since I stopped working, he's printing out job descriptions for me. Great. Thanks. No, it's OK. I mean, I've got more of an artistic temperament and feel strongly that I'm not suited for any kind of work with set hours or responsibilities, but I can do it. And, frankly, it may feel good to contribute more to the team than sarcasm and a mean file gumbo. But I was hoping I could at least get through the summer. My focus is really supposed to be child care. Not that I'm any good at it. (See above.)

Well, I've got to go pick up a little. We're having an assessor take a look at the house later today and I'm hoping that with a few carefully arranged accessories, I can maybe deemphasize all of the crumbly bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment