Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Weekend Wrap Up

To accommodate Major League Baseball and their ridiculous idea that opening day for the Sox should be an eight o'clock start on a Sunday night- Easter Sunday night, no less- against the Yankees on ESPN, which should take approximately fifteen hours, let's quickly wrap up Easter Weekend. No really, Bud Selig, compared to all the foolishness associated with opening in Japan a few years ago, this is no problem at all. It's clear why you make millions.

We had a great weekend. I managed a trip to the Atheneum without incident. In fact, I had a nice talk with the lady at the front desk in which I laid bare all of my parking concerns. She was very comforting and reassuring. And I'm sure her PhD in Art History was never more useful than when she spent twenty minutes explaining to me how parking meters work. Well, I'm from the country. Which I'm sure was fairly obvious.

Unfortunately, I almost had a heartattack because when I went upstairs to check out the Thomas Cole Last of the Mohicans painting it was gone. Gone. They had only moved it downstairs to be with the other HRS pictures in a new exhibition space, but how did I know that? Took years off my life, I tell you. Years.

While I was being all cultural downtown, my peeps were home coloring eggs.




Then we had a great dinner at our favorite local restaurant. It feels like some sort of victory to make it through a long winter and finally enjoy a plate of fish and chips on their sunny patio. Of course we washed it down with a Dark & Stormy. Or Dark & Stormies. Whatever. You've got to try one. You really must. Be sure to use the exact name brand ingredients indicated or it just won't be right. Gosling's has a recipe on their website, but it's sort of vague. Do it the way The Wall Street Journal says to:

Dark & Stormy

1 ½ oz Gosling’s Black Seal rum
4 to 6 oz Barritt’s ginger beer

Build on ice in a highball glass


Build it means pour in the ingredients one at a time without stirring, but you already knew that, didn't you? It looks just like a Turner. Go ahead and add a lime wedge for garnish, but, for God's sake, don't squeeze it.

You're welcome.

We kicked off Easter Sunday at approximately six o'clock-ish. Notice the crazed look in her eyes and the darkness that indicates pre-dawn.



A little bit later we moved things outside for a raucous egg hunt.





Then, of course, we ate lunch at 10:30 because that's what you do when you kick off the day before the sun comes up. Now it's time for a nap. I've got a long night ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment