Friday, April 30, 2010

Fashion Friday: The I'm Sleeping as I Write This Edition

I'm sleeping as I write this. But I guess we've already established that. It's the Corgi. She wakes up at all hours and barks to let everyone know all about it. She doesn't need anything except maybe some company and will settle right down if someone comes downstairs to be with her. It's usually not a problem because I'm awake all the time anyway. But last night I got all crazy and was sleeping soundly through the night. So I'd like to thank the Tailless Wonder for keeping it real. Because God forbid I sleep for eight straight hours in a row.

I couldn't do a DWTS recap this week. There wasn't much to talk about and I was distracted by the Parent Teacher conference scheduled for the following morning. We've had P/T conferences before, but this one was different because when Lauren came home from school the afternoon before the conference she announced that her teacher was going to ask if she could keep Lauren in Kindergarten for another year. Excuse me. Keep you where? It was terrible. I tried to get more info out of her, but it was no use. That led to a long night of alternately agonizing over her future and having an imaginary fight with her teacher in my head (FYI- I won the imaginary fight and my hair looked great.) because a) Lauren does very well in school and b) why am I just hearing about this now. Well, you can imagine how this story ends. She's not being held back. It was a total miscommunication. But I was horrified at my response. I had no idea I had so much invested in her academic achievement. If anyone else was being held back, I would tell their sweet parents, with complete sincerity, that it's nothing to agonize over. Then I would probably judge them a little bit for being so invested in their kid's achievements. Only I would be wrong to do that because I'm obviously the one with the issue. Or issues. Many, many issues. I'm seriously going to work on this. It's not good. Lauren's destiny is her own. I really need to respect that.

Back to DWTS for a minute, those people did horrible things to the Samba. Horrible. And I thought the whole show was just generally boring. I also can't figure out why there was such an obvious conspiracy to keep Chad on the show. It was the most peculiar thing listening to the effusive praise, having him do an encore dance, and keeping him in that foolish group swing until close to the end. On the bright side, Jake was voted off. I'm so happy that I won't even mention the farewell speech. Or the crying. Also positive was Edyta coming back to dance on the results show. I don't think we need to talk anymore about how hot she is because I believe that's been firmly established. But, seriously, she is sick. I mean, even for a dancer. I don't get it. Whatever she's doing, I'm happy for her. I am.

Also in TV news (because that, apparently, is how I spend all my time.) I hope you all watched Parenthood. It was a good episode. Things are getting interesting between Crosby and Jasmine. But in a very messy, complicated, realistic way. I loved the part where Crosby tells Adam he watched the video of Jasmine giving birth.

"Do you think you're going to recover?"

"Does it recover?"

I also loved Adam's sisters hanging out with Christina for like the second week in a row. I can't imagine Mr. Blyleaf's sisters sprawled on my bed eating popcorn and helping me get an outfit together for a big job interview. That whole big family situation is not something I've ever really wanted for myself. I've always had a darker, more sinister view of family so I guess I figured the less of it the better. But if it could be like that, I might reconsider.

"First base is kissing. Second base is... you know... reading Tennyson."

How about when Sarah and Amber run into Jim at that poetry reading? Kill me. So great. Jim reads a poem called "Orchid Blooming" from his upcoming collection called The One That Got Away.

"That's about flowers, right?"

"I think it might be about your vag."

I can't get into what happens at the end when Christina is offered the job and talks it over with Adam. Because that almost led to a huge fight in my house and I don't care to relive it.

I'll spend many hours in from of the TV tomorrow, too. I love the Kentucky Derby so much. But, please, I don't want to talk about hats. Or Nick Lachey and his brother. No offense to Nick Lachey. Or his brother.

Also this weekend, Remember The Ladies: Women of the Hudson River School opens at the Thomas Cole House in Catskill, NY. The title is kind of odd because aren't you totally thinking about Abigail Adams right now? But it should be really good. I'm very excited and can't wait to see it. The HRS is so amazing, but you've got to see the works in person because they just don't reproduce well. We're so lucky that so many HRS painting are easily accessible. There's a nice promotional article about the show in the current issue of Antiques & Fine Art. The exhibit runs through October.

In fashion news, it's going to be 75 and sunny today and I'm excited to see what I'll be wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment