Friday, April 23, 2010

Fashion Friday: The TMI Episode

It's been a rough couple of days.

Wednesday Lauren put a rock up her nose. I'm not real sure why. She's always loved rocks and picks them up wherever we go. And we go lots of places with rocks because, here in the country, gravel driveways predominate. So we've got lots of rocks in jars and cups and pockets and drawers and wherever. Every once in a while I'll collect them all and toss them into one of the kennels. It's never been a big deal. But then Wednesday a rock went up her nose. It was pretty easy to coax it out. Totally gross, but easy.

Apparently, though, I didn't sufficiently emphasize the importance of keeping rocks out of our various orifices because the very next day, in the middle of a crazy morning- a crazy morning that had me running around trying to get myself together and feed the dogs and pack Lauren's bag for her stay at grammy's and hang laundry and finish the breakfast dishes and whatever else I was doing all while fantasizing about the blissful day of quiet that would soon be mine- she came upstairs to tell me she had put a rock in her ear.

It's actually kind of great that I can always count on her to tell on herself. She's not real big on deception. But I could see my blissful day of quiet slipping just out of reach.

So the rock. I couldn't see it, but I knew there was really one in there because she didn't change her story when I told her that I hoped we didn't have to cancel her trip to grammy's and go to the doctor instead. Which is exactly what happened.

Dr. O had the day off, but Dr. C could squeeze us in. It was a relief. Until we met Dr C. Here's the thing. I know I've called Henry James a total douche before, but at least Henry James was also a mega genius. Dr. C is just a total douche. You know how I kind of enjoy basic manners, like introducing yourself to someone new or not scaring five year olds by telling them they'll have to go to the emergency room and be put to sleep? Yeah, well, Dr. C's no so much into my brand of polite. I mean, even if I could have gotten past the weird passive aggressive anti-Obama, pro-Tea Party, propaganda he had hanging in his office, I'd have had to draw the line at trying to look down my shirt or having a petulant fit and stomping out of the examining room. Not that it wasn't awesome to have him stand there, looking irritated, holding what was essentially a squirt bottle full of tap water while I tried to get Lauren to keep her shoulders down, head up, hands away from her face, and balance a mini metal bed pan thingy under her ear all at once (because apparently I resemble a nurse), but, you know... He's basically a rude, talentless, shithead who was mean to my kid. So we left with the rock still in her ear.

At home I tried rinsing the rock out of her ear, because that was Dr. C's big plan, but that didn't work. So this morning, with Dr. O back in the office, we went back for round two. He let Lauren, who is always happy to see him, stay sitting on my lap where she's most comfortable. They had a nice talk about cookies, why he had a band aid on his finger, and what Lauren had been up to over her vacation. Lauren then questioned him extensively on his wardrobe choices (you see, he was wearing green today as opposed to blue last time and she was determined to get to the bottom of it.). Then, when the chit chat was done, he reached into the munchkin's ear with a long silver poky thing and, in about one point one seconds, pulled out the rock. Tah dah! We declared him the most awesome doctor ever then jumped in the car and sped off to grammy's house.

This afternoon, I ran out to the (You know, I say I ran out, but really I travelled to Glastonbury. Which is far. Because everything's super far away, y'all.) Whole Foods to pick up a few things and decided to return a shirt while I was out. I didn't ever really want it, but the sales woman kept bringing me things and I felt bad, so I bought this shirt. It's cute, but it's loaded with all kinds of bad symbolism. So I brought it back. All this just to tell you that when I was done, I strolled over to the Starbucks. I wanted to try a London Fog. Apparently they're Travis's favorite. So, being a huge dork, I had to try one. FYI- the name has been changed to Earl Grey Tea Latte. It almost killed me a little bit with its overwhelming deliciousness. As the name implies, it's tea, steamed milk, and vanilla syrup. And possibly a little crack because I already can't wait until my next one. It was life changing. As a bonus, I think Brianne* will be happy with me because it's not coffee. It's tea. 160 calories for a medium with skim milk. And, by my math, the calcium in the milk cancels out the calories entirely.

Which brings us to sushi at my favorite restaurant. Mr. Blyleaf and I decided to go out before the Bruins/Sabres Game 5. We got the dream team of sushi combinations: Caterpillar Roll (tuna & avocado), Monarch Roll (eel, king crab, & cucumber), and special nameless roll (lobster & basil). It was perfection. I wish I had taken a picture because it was super pretty, too.

In fashion news, we were seated right by the window and I saw two notable outfits stroll by.

Outfit #1
Lady with a dark blond, long, straight, bob. No bangs. Black rectangle shaped glasses. Hardly any makeup. No noticeable jewelry. Super pretty. White tank topped with a black, open-knit, v-neck, cardigan sweater. Very arts & crafts. No buttons. A gold pin or something held it closed. Medium wash jeans with cuffs at least three inches wide. Killer shoes. Black 2 or 3 inch heels. T-strap studded with gold hobnails. What? Hello!

Outfit #2
Another dark blond person. Long, straight hair. This gal was more beautiful than pretty. Black, diamond quilted, waist length, jacket with a little bit of a sheen- I actually thought it was leather from a distance. Black scarf (folded in half. ends pulled through the loop), medium to light wash jeans, black Bjorn strappy sandals, black hobo bag in what looked like super high quality leather. That sounds like a lot of black but a) what's wrong with that and b) she was a master of adding interest with texture. I also loved her husband. He was wearing plaid shorts and sandals. They obviously got dressed independent of each other. I love that.

Now we're home enjoying a Malbec and watching the Sox, Bruins, and Celtics- all playing at the same time. We've been big on the Malbec's lately. They're generally pretty high quality at a tremendous value. I'd encourage you to select a bunch a random.

And that's all.

*You haven't missed anything. I haven't told you who Brianne is yet. I'll do that in an upcoming post. I know. Not since who shot JR have you ever been so intrigued, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment