Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I Actually Did This Weekend

If you're interested in what actually took place this weekend, get ready to be disappointed. Totally boring.

I bought some new patio furniture. But, trust me, there was no joy in it. We bought our old set in 2004. It's very nice and we've enjoyed it. The cushions have been fading and I knew we needed to get around to replacing them, but I'd been putting it off. Then, last Summer, we had people over and, can I tell you, I couldn't even hear what those sweet people were saying because I was so distracted by how faded and horrible looking the cushions had gotten. Is that shallow? It's probably super shallow. So this year I set out to replace the cushions. So expensive. You don't even want to know. OK, I'll tell you. I think the cushions I found that best fit our set were $139 per chair. I'm serious. Not even custom. That's, I don't know, like fifty million dollars for the six chairs. Not even counting the two reclining chairs and ottomans.

So we bought a new set for way less. Way, way, less. It's all metal with no cushions and oddly comfy. I throws a very picking up a bagel at Espresso Your Love on the Vineyard 10minutes after David Letterman was there vibe.

I also watched like a dozen movies. But more like three. Well, one whole movie and half of two others.

I think we picked up The Ghost of Girlfriends Past about a half an hour in. Super cute. I really enjoyed it despite its sick, sick message that if you love a completely unsuitable man from a distance and wait long enough, he'll eventually change and love you back and you will finally be happy and fulfilled which you weren't before even though you're a super cute doctor with fantastic side swept bangs. I admit, I don't make it sound that great, but, if you like romantic comedy like I do, it was actually delightful. So go watch it.

Then I saw Julie & Julia. I was super close to seeing this in the theater, but I just never got around to it. I loved all of the Julia Child parts, but didn't care too much for the Amy Adams in New York stuff. I also got really confused when the husband of Amy Adams got irritated with her and walked out. Am I just completely insensitive to the feelings of men or did his freak out come completely out of the blue? Plus, I was distracted by the knowledge that, in real life, they get divorced. And, anyway, being a bad person, I tend to be jealous of people with book deals. I assume at some point in the movie she got her book deal. I don't know for sure because I stopped watching it when Mr Julia Child got called back to Washington to be investigated. I recommend you watch this with the remote and just skip all of the Amy Adams stuff. No offense to Amy Adams. Who is a fine actress.

The last movie I watched was The Proposal. Sandra Bullock is a master of romantic comedy so it was no surprise that this was fantastic. It had all of the key elements: pretty houses, pretty wardrobe, pretty people, and the gradual realization that the man of your dreams has been right there in front of you all along. OK, it wasn't perfect. They obviously filmed in Massachusetts and CGI'd the mountains in. And I didn't care for Sandra's wedding dress, which is kind of the one outfit you really don't want to mess up, but, I don't know, some people might find a mock turtle neck wedding dress refreshing, so that could just be me.

What I wanted to run by you is this. We're you all totally getting an E.M. Forster vibe from this movie? I know, right? First of all, there was all of the pretty, which I believe we've covered. I'm thinking also of Sandra Bullock having to physically travel from the city to the natural world of (fake) Alaska in order to access her passion and sensuality and, consequently, fall in love. It was in Alaska that technology failed and she became disconnected from the corrupting influence of modernity and abandoned her devious plan. There was the whole question of the inheritance where the meddling father wanted Ryan Reynolds to abandon his passion (literature) and commit to accepting the inheritance of the empire the father had built. (If you're thinking it's problematic that Ryan Reynolds left Alaska to go to the city to pursue his passion in the first place, I'd argue that he had to be put someplace where Sandra could meet him and E.M. Forster didn't actually write the movie so don't get too hung up on that.) Ryan Reynolds refused that inheritance and, instead, it's the orphaned Sandra Bullock, in whom the grandmother finds a spiritual affinity, who is offered the grandmother's inheritance, through the wedding dress and heirloom necklace, of guardianship over the family's ideals and values. It's also the wise, old, unmarried grandmother who recognizes the love between Ryan and Sandra, understands its significance, and initiates the action required to unite them. And on and on. Let me just stop. I'm reading too much into it, aren't I? It wouldn't be the first time.

And that's the big weekend.

Do you want to see The Real NY Housewives' various summer houses in the Hamptons? They're here. My Favorite was Kelly's house. I know. You thought I'd say Jill. Doesn't matter. I'd never summer in the Hamptons.

No comments:

Post a Comment