Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrapping Up an Amazing Weekend

I've had a hard time getting started with this post because, while I had a super fun weekend, nothing especially hilarious happened. Let's just knock this out in chronological order so we all can get on with our lives.

Friday night I fell asleep at eight-ish.

Saturday night was more interesting. I got together with my friend...um...Schmathy. We usually meet Saturday mornings at a bookstore between our houses. This time we got a little crazy. We decided to shake things up. This was a huge change for us. It would be an overstatement to call either one of us us control freaks exactly, but we both do find comfort in the familiar. Spontaneity tends not to be our friend. That is why, when Schmathy suggested we shake things up, she did it tentatively.

If we were to, hypothetically, get together this weekend, wouldn't it be interesting if we did something different?

Why, yes, Schmathy. Different certainly is interesting. Panic inducing, but also interesting.

What if, for example, we were to somehow combine drinking, clothes, and art?

Well, that would actually be terrible because that would mean we were dead. Because drinking + clothes + art = heaven.

Thus began our attempt at shaking things up. I'm happy to report it was a tremendous success. We met at the Natick Collection for drinks at Something de la Something. We sat at the bar where I enjoyed a...wait for it... Dark & Stormy. Hello lover! Oh, it was good. Schmathy is a total vegan where I just have strong vegetarian tendencies so we both also ordered salads. What I didn't count on was salad with a side of misogyny, but that's what I got because The Masters was on the big screen. But the doors to the dining room were painted the perfect shade of blue so that kind of made up for it. (Not really.) Next we went to Nordstrom to peek at the spring fashions. I was roundly mocked when we passed the St. John and I revealed that I always thought I would wear Eileen Fisher in my thirties and St. John in my forties. That left Schmathy wondering if I was on crack because obviously St. John shouldn't be worn anywhere other than to one's own funeral. And I'll never wear Eileen Fisher because, let's face it, I'm not an ex-hippie with a long silver ponytail who throws her own pots. I'm just not. It's probably for the best.

Saturday was also a great day in sports. The Bruins clinched a playoff spot. I am quite happy about that despite that fact that they refuse to make the same emotional investment in themselves that I have made in them. In addition, in baseball news, my man Jason Varitek played his first game of the season and hit two home runs. Because apparently KC doesn't know you can burn him with a fastball. Whatever. Their poor pitch selection isn't my problem. Let's just keep it to ourselves. Shhh!

Sunday found us at The Florence Griswold Museum- one of my favorite places in the world. So amazing. I left the sketch book at home because I was with The Munchkin.

It was an interesting trip because The Munchkin decided trapped in the car together was the perfect time to learn cardinal points of direction. This meant answering questions like Mummy, what's the one on the right? Which direction is behind me? Which way is north? about five hundred thousand times. Half way there, she declared this is boring. Apparently she didn't hold out much hope for fun at the museum, either, because she told me if I don't like it, I'll tell you and we can get in the car and go back home. Say it. SAY IT, MUMMY, SAY IT! FYI- I didn't say it. (Rule #1 of dealing with a five year-old: don't commit to anything.) Nevertheless, she didn't care for the exhibition. But she had a great time on the grounds and in The Rambles.





The Rambles are supposed to evoke the folly of former days in Miss Florence's garden and are reminiscent of the faux "ruins" that were popular at that time. One can also see that the sticks used to construct The Rambles are nothing more than bundles of lines, making The Rambles a giant three dimensional pencil sketch.

Also Sunday- Jason's birthday. I mention this mostly out of habit. I'm sort of over him. Sorry, big man.



Sunday night was the premier of Treme on HBO. Watch it, y'all. It's super authentic and very compelling. And the lady who owns the restaurant is played by the same gal who plays Matt's mom on my all time favorite program, Friday Night Lights.

Monday (which is, technically, not the weekend, is it?) is also worth mentioning. I spent time with a friend who provided me with a memory I'll cherish always. He needed a large number of pencils, but only for about an hour- just go with it. We walked over to the library where we visited the computer stations which are furnished with those little miniature golf pencils and scratch paper. The look on the faces on those precious students as my friend just walked up to them and, without explanation, grabbed handfuls of teeny pencils, shoving them in his pockets while carrying on a conversation with me about the US/Russia arms reduction pact or whatever the heck we were going on about, was just priceless. We repeated this routine on at least three floors.

Well, it is cute the way Putin lets Medvedev sign things, isn't it? I'll bet it makes him feel like a real genuine president.

And that's pretty much it.

I've got a busy week a head of me and I'm hoping like crazy that something funny happens. I know you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment